Tuesday, November 19

Jacqui Beck: Published MRKH Experience

I just read the Huffington Post's article about Jacqui Beck and am glad to hear MRKH getting more press.  There have been articles out there about women with it several times per year now.  I think some of that started with the beauty queen Miss Michigan, Jaclyn's story.  It does bother me that the MRKH aspects are so sensationalized.  Honestly, reading those stories does make me feel like a freak of nature but 1 in 5000 is not that rare.

It still floors me when I hear about how we in society define what a woman is and what she does.  Does it make you a woman because you like to shop?  have long hair?  put on makeup? clean?  get married?  have kids?  a period?  vagina?  There are so many characteristics of many women but there really isn't a box that you can shove a whole gender into.

I will maintain that sexuality (feelings and actual physical development) is a spectrum.  There are men and women and all shades in between.  It is just the way it is.  It's the beauty of nature.  We need to accept people wherever they are at.

I really hope that Jacqui comes to a comfortable place with her diagnosis, that she seeks treatment IF she wants it, and that she goes on and has a fulfilling happy life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment